Since a number of us will finish relatively soon, I would like to suggest a follow up contest, available to those who have completed the first round.
Here are the ideas:
1. A map of 16 cities, difficulties level set at maximum in all categories.
2. No additional offices may be built, except in the 10 new cities available as Alderman missions. We build only in the hometown, and build the new cities as colonies.
3. No tricks; specifically stock manipulation, Levon's Gold Nugget, Arbitrage, the hemp tricks, rapid building; permitted is building in blocks of six, eight, or ten.
4. This is a business game, primarily to test trading and planning skills. No captures of pirate ships at all permitted, on the high seas or on tavern missions. Sink them, or flee them. Building, and impounding of loans, are allowed to acquire new ships, as is the dowry ship (or ships). Auctioning of built ships, or of impounded ships, is permitted.
5. No illegal or indictable acts.
6. I have in mind for the hometown several goods. Efficiently, fish, beer and pitch. Inefficiently, hemp, timber, honey and furs. A mint will be required to be built, started no later than the day of election as mayor.
7. Objective is to be Alderman, build the hometown to the third wall, and have a certain city population. I think twenty five thousand, excluding beggars, is a decent objective.